Welcome Guest | Login or Register

Paris Days 1-3: Walking around Paris

And we’re off to another fun-filled trip to Paris! This time we’re visiting in June and hope to catch some nice warm weather and see some fun summer-themed events!

Our flights were uneventful, but looooong. We flew from Boise to Salt Lake City to Chicago to Dublin and then finally on to Paris. Along with all those flights we had 8 and a half hours of layovers. We were up for over 30 hours before we finally got to bed early the day we arrived in Paris.

After a good sleep until early the next afternoon, we got up and started walking around Paris to see what there was to see and get familiar with the layout of the city again. First we stopped by Notre Dame. There was quite a crowd there and many tour groups (a staple of Summer I’m guessing) so we didn’t wait to go in. Instead we walked to the back and found this odd walking bridge festooned with padlocks. The locks were engraved or had Sharpie writing on them expressing the names of the couple in love and the date. I’m sure the locals love this new “fad.”

A view of Notre Dame from the "lock" bridgeKim looking at the padlocks secured to the bridge railing. They're put there by lovers as part of a new Parisian fad.

Next we stopped in a local Creperie for some Paris style savory and sweet crepes. The restaurant was quite interesting because the inside looked literally like the hull of some old wooden sailing ship at sea. The food was good too!

Lunch at a Creperie that looked like the inside of a wooden ship hull.Another picture of the "boat" we ate lunch in.

After lunch, it was time to walk off the calories! We went to Luxembourg Gardens and walked through them and then continued on towards the Seine river and Tuileries Gardens near where the Louvre and the Egyptian Obelisk are.

A funky looking tree in the Luxembourg Gardens.Kim among the wicker people!Who's hungry for a giant metal bell pepper!?Kim in front of the Obelisk

By then, our late day was catching up to us and our feet were tired, so we ducked into the subway to head back home. We apparently caught the Paris rush hour and all the trains on the #1 line were so packed that we had to lean against other people in order for the subway doors to close. It was Kim’s first time in the subway and she handled the crowds like a champ. I promised her that future rides wouldn’t be quite so dense. I hope I don’t end up eating my words…

It was a light easy day for our first full day in Paris, but we walked around and saw a lot. Hopefully tomorrow we will get an earlier start. See you then!

Trackback this Post | Feed on comments to this Post

Leave a Reply